just a small town girl, with big town dreams...

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Left, Right, Up, Down or In the Middle

I just read a recent post that has got me thinking. Now remeber that I admit to being somewhat of "the new kid on the block" as far as politics goes, so forgive me if this has a "duh" tone to it.

I myself have fallen into the idea that putting views, about politics, religion, or just life in general into "boxes". I alway took pride in trying to think outside the box when it has come to my scientific views, as many of my unfinished, unpublished writings in these areas would suggest. The idea of looking past the most obviouse answers, explainations, or solutions to situations in science is what fuels development. "Imagination is More Important than Knowledge" -- Albert Einstien. (A hero of mine, if you will) So why then do I, and possibly many others, still put other things like politics into boxes.

I admit to "blindly" voting straight Democrat from 18 to 30. Does that make me one of the "loney left"?

Does the fact that have a heartfelt concern for the poverty conditions in Mexico, that drives them to come here, and care deeply for them and their needs, mean I approve of HOW they get here? or that I am soft on the illegal imigration problem?

Does the peace sign tattooed to my hand, and my general anti-war attitude mean that I would not want to stand up to defend the values I hold dear? or not want to fight an honest enemy of the country I love? or not want to support the men and women of the armed forces?

Does the fact that I truely loved a job, at which, I burned aprox 100 gal of Diesel fuel a day mean I don't care about the enviornment? or taking the 40 mile drive to see my mom on a real regular basis mean the same?

Does the fact that I believe Jesus to be my Lord and Savoir, and the Bible to be the true Word of God mean that I will condem you to hell unless you see things as I do? or that I hate persons who choose to dedicate their lives to a person of the same sex?

I guess I need to start looking at ALL things outside the box, not just science...

3 comments:

cwilcox said...

Hey Lisa!
Sounds like you are looking at things with a healthy perspective to me! I was bouncing around your site and checking things out. Happy 2007! Good luck in school and keep up the bloggin'

Mark said...

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the Blogosphere.

I have a big poster with the very same quote from Einstein.

I have only voted straight ticket once in my life. Republican in 2004. But frankly even the repulicans aren't conservative enough for me.

I served in the Army and see war as a necesary evil.

I have never had a drivers licence
so my modes of transportation are usually evironmentally friendly.

And finally I love Jesus too.

Don't be afriad to keep asking hard questions. You might not always expect or agree with the answers you get here, but they will always be interesting.

small town girl said...

Thanks guys!

I do want to remain teachable, open to new thoughts and ideas, yet to stand true to my core beliefs in the process!