just a small town girl, with big town dreams...

Monday, January 1, 2007

Make a Change -- Grassroot Style

Putting all politics aside for the moment...

I do love to write. I always have. I don't know for sure how good at it I am, but love it just the same. When I graduated from High School one of my English teachers told me to not let my spelling and grammer skills stop me from writing. There are experts out there that can help you with that. Your content ability as great. That being said...

I have always wanted to change the world, and make it a better place for everyone who lives here. The longer I live, the more I see that I truely am powerless over people, places, and things. That doesn't mean I can't make a difference. I can "Love My Neighbor as Myself" and look at what I find objectional about me. I CAN change me. Do I make a resolution, and then break it, YES. Looking at how many times I have tried to quit smoking cigarettes, yet still smoke is just one example of that. I just put my best foot forward each day, doing the best I can. Somedays I do better than others, but I don't give up.

I present the following challanges to myself and anyone who wishes to join me in 2007:

Smile at a stranger.
Learn more about something you "hate" or don't understand.
Tell family and friends you love them a little more often.
Do random acts of kindness.
Talk about what is right instead of what is wrong.
Say "I'm sorry" if you make a mistake.
Forgive someone who hurt you.
Build someone up.
Give a compliment when you see someone or something you like.

Please feel free to add to this list.
Lets make the world a better place, grassroot style!

4 comments:

Mark said...

There's a book: Writing to Change the World. I've yet to read it, but I do have it and will be reading it soon. Perhaps you should consider it.

David Schantz said...

I think your on to something here, your writing and your list. You said,"Please feel free to add to this list.
Lets make the world a better place, grassroot style!" I'd like to add something to one of the things you'd already listed.Do random acts of kindness, without letting others know you have done this. That way you are truely doing something for someone else instead of doing something so you'll look better to others. I don't mean to say that YOU would do something to make yourself look better to others.

I just noticed your in Iowa. My family lived in Villisca, Iowa until I was 4 years old. I moved back up to Iowa later, I've lived in Spencer and Sioux City.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

small town girl said...

I considered adding that claws to that item, I'm glad you mentioned it.

It's hard to do it that way, I think we all have a little bit of an urge to want to do our good deeds in the site of others for image reasons...

Papamoka said...

Lisa,

Thank you for the link. I shall gladly respond in kind. The invitation is still open to you if you ever get the opportunity.

I appreciate your comments on GTL and your intellectual replies. Its tough being the chosen liberal amongst moderate conservatives but I do love a good discussion on serious issues. Once again thanks for the link.

Always a friend, Mat AKA Papamoka